Saturday 3 January 2009

Redwings





Went looking for the Barn Owls again this afternoon for the third day running (see last two postings). Maybe the shooting group of 40 or so up the road kept them in.

We did see a flock of I would say over 100 Redwing in the division hedge between some fields, a fair way off so only a distant record shot possible. There did not seem to be any Fieldfare with them at all, earlier we saw a good number of Fieldfare on the edge of Dalby Forest.

Also strangely came across the body of this poor Herring Gull on a track at the back of Ayton, I think it maybe the same bird I saw stood alone in a field two days before. Quite an unusual sight to see the body like this, it was as if it was probing in the grass.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a matter of luck with Barn Owls Mike. Some days they hover around close to you and another they just will not co-operate.

Anonymous said...

There are certainly plenty of Redwings around this winter Mike. I have seen more of them than Fieldfares so far which is unusual.

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks for the comments Roy. I have seen a few flocks of Fieldfare here in N Yorks but no Redwing with them. The Redwings today were the first I had seen.
Best wishes
Mike

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

What I meant was the first Redwings I have seen this winter!
Mike