Sunday 18 April 2010

Sanderling (Calidris alba)

I have not got any pictures these last three weeks, Easter was dark, we are
decorating and it seems to be on the bright days, the days off (decorating) have
been less so.

I am therefore posting Sanderling seen on the beach at Bransacster, Norfolk on a
lovely morning, not many people about and about a dozen of these birds on the
shore line.

They allowed me to approach reasonably close to and whilst the light wasn't the best
I was pleased to get these shots.

They didn't do so much of the running very fast in a clockwork fashion but were
busy probing the sands for breakfast.

This is a member of the Sandpiper family and in winter is by far the whitest, they
snatch marine worms, crustaceans, molluscs, sandhoppers and other similar beach food.

They often mix with Dunlins.


















4 comments:

Chris said...

HI Mike,
This is a gorgeous collection you got there... They are all superb.... I'm not used to see them in these colors as they usually have their breeding plumage when they reach us!!

Anonymous said...

Yes a great collection here Mike of one of my favourites.

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks chaps.
Would love to see in the breeding plumage Chris.
They are very nice birds Roy.

FAB said...

I love watching this 'clockwork' wader. Lovely series Mike.