Sunday 4 December 2011

E Yorks SEO's

I have been wanting to get over the Humber and into N Lincs to see the Short Eared Owls for sometime, recent weeks though have conspired against us so news of some nearer birds in E Yorks was too good an opportunity to miss.

We were very lucky as when we walked down to where the owls have been seen one birds was hunting around the field and then sat on a fence post.

They are fantastic birds to see, beautiful colour patterns. AS we got nearer the bird flew off but was soon back and this happened three or four times. I never got close so with my 500mm lens my photography was purely for the record. It was also very dull so to get the speed I needed I was on high ISO (3,200).

A great day though, we also saw the White Fronted Geese on site, a fox and Pat saw a Kingfisher flying along a ditch whilst I was driving.








8 comments:

Michael Flowers said...

I wonder where you saw the SEOs?

How do you get such large pics on your blog? Mine always seem too small

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks for your post Michael, great tip.

When I post any pictures, blogger gives me a choice of sizes and for anything half decent I select Xlarge.

I resize all my images at 1000 pixels wide before posting.

Michael Flowers said...

Thanks for that I'll see if I can amend my blog - I've only seen you can post em small, medium or large, so will look for extra large option

Cheers
michael

Viasat said...

Eventually most of the sites consider such owls when users comments on their blogs. I like above picture, but they are really small. Hope will see them large size.

John said...

Hi Mike,
The SEO is a lovely bird. I am hoping to be able to get some sort of photos of this bird soon, but as you say, it is hard to get overly close!
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

Angad Achappa said...

Lovely images, even if they're just a record, atleast you got to see the hunt... :)

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks John & Angad. I do agree that its an honour and great pleasurew to see SEO's.

Richard said...

Nice work Mike! I'm glad to see someone is doing justice to East Yorkshire's answer to Worlaby!!