Saturday 21 February 2009

Fieldfare and Party Pooper

















Having walked in Wykeham Forest (nothing seen), we visited the giant bird feeder, a clamp where seed has just been stock piled over winter and the birds are now doing their worst to remove it. There are good numbers of Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch and Yellow Hammers here with Reed Bunting for good measure. Today Stock Doves were feeding in the field and droping onto the site. The local Pheasants must think lifes too easy!

We then had a ride around and came across a large number of Fieldfare and Redwings in a field at the back of Ayton with Starling also present and Linnets in the area.

I got my desire for Fieldefare in a tree (see previous posting of this bird) together with Redwing and Starling although too distant to get the quality shots I wanted.

A Kestrel then dropped onto the top of the tree holding the Fieldfare and most birds (not all disappeared). Bt the time I focused the Kestrel was airborne but I managed a couple of shots.
A Sparrow Hawk was sat on the top of the hedge to 400 yards up the lane as we left.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the markings on Fieldfares, great to see so many together.

Those are stunning shots of a Kestrel in flight!

Paul.

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks for your comments Paul.
I love the markings on Fieldfare and Redwing are beautiful too.
Best wishes
Mike

Anonymous said...

A nice and informative blog to follow. I have listed your blog in my own blog since Dec 2008. Would you plz reciprocrate my blog link to yours? As there is no contact information in your blog, I have to send this message here. Sorry for that. regards, Sumit

my blog link

http://sumitphoto.blogspot.com/