Sunday 1 November 2009

Autumn Colours & why are Wifes always right!







A weekend of contrast this one, yesterday was lovely today!
We did go this morning to Filey Dams in search of a Jack Snipe that had been seen early morning but no joy in the heavy winds and rain. Yesterday by contrast was lovely and we had a nice walk around Harwood Dale where I pictured this wasps nests and beautiful fungi. There was plenty of small birds including Bull Finch and Gold Finch. We also saw a male common darter.
The only problem with the walk we do in Harwood is that it is a rectangle and the last leg for us is always back down the road. the locals will know this gives open views out towards the N Y Moors. Pat says, 'I wonder if there are any Fieldfare in the fields where we have seen them before'. No says I , 'I don't know why you are wasting your time looking' dismissing her theory that they return to the same fields.
Next thing is a flock of birds in the air landing in the top of a tree. Guess what Fieldfare, well you can imagine the comments, I am gutted.
I want to get close to Bull Finch & Fieldfare this season, any advice welcome.
Sorry, for the lack of recent postings due to family commitments, decorating, visitors etc. Hope to do much more photography now.
Mike

10 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

A portable hide is what you need. But, your pictures are very good without one. But, there is always something to make things better.

Chris said...

Hi Mike,
Very good shots sir, but where are the birds mate? ;-) I agree with Bob, a portable hide might help although I do not like to do that myself!

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks Bob. A portable hide would be a natural step but my birding is mostly walking with Pat and visiting reseves. On the odd occassion I am alone one might be good, I hope to get close in the car but with Fieldfare todate I have always had hedges in the way.

Thanks Chris, I've had a barren time but promise birds in the next posts.

Linda Yarrow said...

Hi Mike, you will have to look like a bush by covering yourself from head to toes with twigs and leaves;-) It is difficult to get close to Fieldfares, the RSPB NR at Arne have them also and always seem to be in one particular field.

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks Lyn.
I once saw a walking bush at Minsmere (camoflaged man in army netting) he looked a pillock amongst all the visitors in their bright tee shirts!

East Ayton Birding said...

Flixton is as good as anywhere in November for fieldfare & redwing - none there today, but they'll be there at some point over the next few weeks. Very wary birds, but try and work out which berry bushes they're dropping onto Mike, and set yourself up using the car as a hide.

FAB said...

I think we both have the same challenge Mike. I'm told the answer is location, location, location...and then wait!!!

Anonymous said...

Of course wives are always right Mike, I would have thought you knew that by now.

Fieldfares. They like tall hedgerows (Hawthorn in particular) in the early part of winter, also Orchards and Holly trees. They move out onto fields as well but more so towards the end of their stay here.

Bullfinch. Pairs tend to stay in a specific local area quite a lot. I have observed two pairs in their own local locations at varying times throughout the year. Not easy though. If you find any, keep going back especially in the spring.

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks Dave, Frank & Roy.
Dave, I will give Flixton a try I would like to emulate the sucess you have had with Fieldfare.
Hope you have some sucess Frank, we get loads of fields of Fieldfare around here its about getting closer.
I never thought about Fieldfare eating berries in the autumn before moving to the fields Roy.
Obvious really, the berries are looking great at the moment.
Mike

petersteel said...

that was nice read this type of contain that was really a nice.. great job... for more information regarding netting bird ,bird control,bird repellents,spikes bird u can visit http://www.usabirdcontrol.com/