Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Dorset in reverse part 2 _ _ _ Portland Migrants and one that got away!!!

We visited Portland Bill last Tuesday, I wanted to go as the day before a Firecrest and Hoopoe were reported.

The weather was good and bright and immediately on embarking from the car and walking towards a gully near the lighthouse a couple of birders told us that the distant group of birders were looking at three Black Redstart and a couple of Wheatears.

The B Redstart were always distant and I spent an age picturing them (over optimistic) hoping the would get nearer. The results are very much record shots, I then saw at least 5 Wheatears but no pictures.

Having walked up near the bird observatory we look for the Firecrest of the day before but no joy, I did manage Linnet, and Willow Warbler pictures.

The Hoopoe? Well we were told it was at a place called Grove on Portland, dropping into a car park near a playing field. We found the place and I was dispatched from the car by Pat amd sister Sue to have a look around.

I walked onto the small parking area for about 6 cars, these were birders cars (having spoken to some earlier) as I moved around the front edge of the first car the Hoopoe took flight from under a birders car down the adjacent path never to be seen again despite an hours searching, one day I will get a proper look at this brilliant visitor, but when! It's on my year list now a lifer too, but I want a proper sighting!!!

Female Black Redstart


Linnet

Willow Warbler

4 comments:

Roy said...

Shame about the Hoopoe Mike, but you did get a brief sighting and some good shots of other birds on the day. I only managed a brief sighting of a Wheatear whilst I was there, but no photo.

Chris said...

Hi Mike,
I hope you will get the hoopoe, definitively a bird to see and get pictures of. Meanwhile, you got fantastic shots of linnet, and black redstart... They are delicious!

Mike Randall Bird Photography said...

Thanks Roy & Chris, the chance of a Hoopoe will be rather limited although we had one in scarborough which I missed 2 years ago.
One of the birders on Portland said Hoopoe are everywhere in Egypt!

mary lau said...

Playground equipment has evolved to make things more fun for kids. Wilkins Solutions provides playground equipment in Orlando for schools, hotels, apartments and more. playgorund equipment Orlando.